Friday 25 March 2011

Cream of the Crop

How I came to be in a conversation with three women on twitter debating the effect cream has on the structural integrity of cake I will never know. You’ve gotta love twitter!!

The idea that when you pour the cream over cake that you end up with cake-soup is clearly ludicrous, but when it is three against one there is only one thing to do…

That’s right, I committed myself to proving my assertion that the cake would remain intact. My word alone was not enough and video evidence was demanded.

Now, I am not known for my baking skills but the pursuit of truth knows no bounds!

With the aid of my beautiful assistant I set about the kitchen to find not only did we have none of the required ingredients but we also did not have any suitable cake tins.

Fast forward 30 minutes, I am in Morrison’s with a shopping list: Flour, sugar, two cake tins, icing sugar, butter, whipping cream, single cream. No vanilla essence (does it really make that much difference?).

Back in the car with the stereo aptly playing the Mission Impossible theme I sped back to the waiting kitchen (and my beautiful assistant).

The instructions were followed to the letter and the ingredients were mixed. The cake came together easily and quickly.

Load the two tins and into the oven. Sorted!

Now, on to the cream….

Here is the cream to go between the two parts of the cake.

IMAG0207


Eventually after what seemed like an eternity the cream was whipped enough and the cakes were ready!

And here is my prize, the Cream Cake. Isn’t she lovely? …and so deadly (oops, sorry, slipped into my Vincent Price persona there). *


IMAG0208


The cake in all its glory, jammed, creamed and finished off with some icing sugar.

And what about the proof?


That’s a wrap!

Filming ends with half the cake gone and a plate full of cream. It really was a nice cake!

IMAG0210

Conclusion

The result of this fun but most unscientific experiment was that clearly and without doubt the structural integrity of the cake remained stable throughout the deluge of cream.

I rest my case.


No animals were harmed during the baking and consumption of the cake and I was supervised by a responsible adult at all times.


* For those who don’t get the reference follow this link:
Alice Cooper And Vincent Price - The Black Widow

No comments:

Post a Comment